MAKE BETTER REFERRALS WITH THE NIAAA ALCOHOL TREATMENT NAVIGATOR®
Pointing the way to evidence–based care®
Different patients with alcohol use disorder (AUD) may need different treatment options. Fortunately, today there are more choices than you and your patients may expect.
Specialist physicians, therapists, and programs offer evidence–based AUD treatment at different levels of intensity in a variety of settings. Telehealth and online options offer flexibility and privacy that may appeal to many patients.
The NIAAA Alcohol Treatment Navigator can help you connect patients with the full range of evidence–based, professional alcohol treatment providers. You can do this in two ways:
- Build or expand your referral list. Use the Navigator to add quality specialists—therapists, physicians, and programs—that offer evidence–based care.
- Share the Navigator directly with patients. Help your patients and their loved ones understand today’s varied treatment options—and put some decision power in their hands.
See the sections below for tips on using the Navigator, sharing it with patients, and helping patients who drink too much.
HOW TO BUILD OR EXPAND YOUR REFERRAL LIST IN 3 STEPS
Search — Ask – Choose
Here’s how to add quality alcohol treatment providers to your referral list:
- Step 1 – Search: Use trusted directories to find specialty physicians, therapists, and programs. Some results may require an easy follow up search online for contact info.
- Step 2 – Ask: See the recommended questions to ask and learn how to listen for quality in the answers. You’ll confirm credentials, services, availability, and more.
- Step 3 – Choose: Capture what you learn from providers in a Choices Chart. You can then see at a glance which ones have the most signs of quality, which will help you choose wisely.
Note: The Navigator can help you locate quality alcohol treatment through telehealth services or online programs. Make sure to add these resources to your referral list if you think your patients would benefit from them.
You can use this Referral Sheet Template, below, to organize, print, and share your new list of referral resources.
Referral Sheet Template
Organize and print your new list of the referral resources you found.
HOW TO SHARE THE NAVIGATOR WITH PATIENTS
Tips for sharing with patients or family members who wish to search on their own.
HOW TO HELP PATIENTS WHO DRINK TOO MUCH
Resources for alcohol screening, assessment, treatment, and recovery.
To help you identify and support patients who drink too much, NIAAA created The Healthcare Professional’s Core Resource on Alcohol. Developed with input from 70 contributors including practicing healthcare professionals, this CME/CE activity offers current, evidence-based content, including:
- 14 concise articles on alcohol and health to help you overcome common barriers to optimum care, including ways to counteract stigma
- An overview of medical complications and mental health issues related to alcohol use, revealing connections often missed
- Quick, effective screening and assessment tools including a new, simple AUD assessment checklist that patients can fill out
- A menu of evidence-based treatment options and strategies to support recovery
- Additional links for patient care with free materials from many authoritative sources
Each article provides .75 to 1 free CME credits, or up to 10.75 credits total.
The Core Resource on Alcohol has received excellent feedback thus far from hundreds of CME/CE participants:
- A large majority of healthcare professionals report that the Core content enhanced their current knowledge base and will be useful in their practice.
- A third to half intend to change their practice; most indicated they would do so by applying the latest guidelines.